Sunday, October 10, 2010

Three Words: Let It Go

Let it go.

This is what my Yoga Teacher told me today and it pissed me off.  I normally need to let things go (and probably do in this case too), but its really obnoxious to hear it from someone else.

In my YTT we are asked to come to class 15 minutes early so that we can start on time.  I respect this and the program so I do it.  But we run 15 minutes late every single session.  I find that's equally disrespectful to the students as coming to the program late is to the teachers.  In what I thought was a very respectful and polite way, I pointed out to my teacher that we often run late and I asked if there was a way that we could avoid this.  I was not trying to be confrontational.  I just want to be able to honor my other commitments.  And if that means that we actually end the YTT 15 minutes later officially, then so be it and I'll change my schedule.  (Note: this is only the second week of the training.) 

The response that I received was extremely defensive, "Your point is dually noted (with an angry look on the face).  I apologize.  So now let it go."  Let it go...really?

I didn't know that by raising the point I was holding onto it.  I'm holding onto it now by writing about this.  But at the time I wasn't. 

And actually now that I've expressed my feelings, I can let it go...

No comments:

Post a Comment